CHARLYN R. GASIT
Antonio Pichon Jr. Elementary School
The study was conducted to determine the effect of Varied Instructional Methodologies. The researcher made use of descriptive comparative research design wherein 60 respondents from grade six pupils were arbitrarily selected. There was Pre-Test and Post-Test being piloted. The statistical tools were mean, standard deviation, One-Way ANOVA, Tukey HSD and Eta2 test. The result indicates a large effect in the understanding of prose of the pupils using VIM, hence, it is recommended to be implemented.
The National Reading Panel reported that the major impact of the arising issues on understanding a reading selection and reading instruction comes from the early grades. It is merely evident that the foundation should make a system on how to improve the said abilities. Furthermore, The National Reading Panel (p.2-43) cited that literary acquisition is not an easy but an extensive skill to teach. Indeed there is no shortcut in this process of teaching the children. The educators should develop strategies and techniques to build a strong foundation on the ability of the learners to understand and comprehend text.
Moreover, a theory has divulged that instructional materials, activities, procedures and strategies became a great deal on the learners (Texas Education Agency, 2002). This became an issue thus, these modes of teaching may result on how the children get meaning from what they read. The materials used during the instruction should be appropriate to the children. Similarly, the strategies must also be varied, new and interesting to ensure the enthusiasm and eagerness of the learners to learn. However, these methods of teaching ought to cater the need of the students to understand a reading selection.
Butler et al., 2010 cited that the U.S Department of Education was alarmed on the distressing result on teaching reading ineffectively. There are students in four public schools in America who lacks basic grade-level skills. Hence, they do not understand grade-appropriate materials.
Additionally, the Philippines was remarked as a nation of non- readers but of storytellers (Luz, 2007). Mostly, people will get information from television for about 62% and radio for 57% according to 2003 government survey. This is obviously the result of not having a skill in understanding a text added by Luz, 2007.
In Antonio Pichon Jr. Elementary School, English ranked 4th out of 5 subjects taken during the National Achievement Test last 2014-2015, it was found out that the least learned competencies are noting details and predicting outcomes which are concerned of understanding and comprehending a certain selection.
Nevertheless, this study aims to find out the effectiveness of VIM in improving Understanding a Reading Selection of grade six pupils. Specifically it sought to find answer/son the following questions:
1. What is the mean score of the three groups when exposed to Varied Instructional Methodologies (VIM)?
2. What is the level of performance of learners in Understanding a Reading Selection when exposed to Varied Instructional Methodologies (VIM)?
3. Is there a significant difference in the performance of the learners in Understanding a Reading Selection when exposed to the Varied Instructional Methodologies (VIM): Read Aloud-Think Aloud, Peer Tutoring, ICT Integration?
4. Which among the Varied Instructional Methodologies (VIM) significantly contribute in the Understanding a Reading Selection of the Grade Six pupils?
5. What is the effect size of the Varied Instructional Methodologies (VIM) to the Understanding a Reading Selection of Grade Six learners?
Thus, there is a significant difference between Varied Instructional Methodologies and Understanding a Reading Selection.
Further, the following terms were operationally defined:
Read Aloud- Think Aloud Technique intends “learning through listening”. It is a strategy where the teacher read the story with sentiments, while the pupils will just listen and imagine the things that were being mentioned by the teacher.
Peer Tutoring refers to the strategy in which the teacher will give the pupils a selection to be read individually. Subsequently, they will be paired to another pupil and share their understanding on the text.
ICT Integration refers to the use of technology. The teacher makes use of the uploaded videos and let the pupils watch it after reading a certain selection.
Understanding a Reading Selection is the ability to grasp the content and get the idea of a certain story.
In the light of the findings revealed in this study, the following conclusions were drawn:
1. The mean score of the three groups when exposed to Read Aloud-Think Aloud and Peer Tutoring was marked High whereas ICT Integration spot the highest with a descriptive interpretation of Very High.
2. The level of performance of the pupils in understanding a reading selection when exposed to VIM is High.
3. There is a statistically significant difference in the performance of pupils in understanding a reading selection when exposed to VIM.
4. The three methodologies: Read Aloud-Think Aloud, Peer Tutoring and ICT Integration contribute significantly in enhancing the ability in understanding a reading selection of the learners.
5. The effect size of VIM in the understanding a reading selection of grade six pupils of Antonio Pichon Jr. Elementary School is large.
Based on the findings and conclusions from the study, Varied Instructional Methodologies (VIM)is suggested to be introduced, applied and utilized by the teachers in letting the learners understand a reading selection.
Hence, school head may regularly monitor the implementation of the said strategies in order to improve the ability to understand a certain selection of the grade six pupils.
Nevertheless, it is recommended that VIM shall be adopted by the teachers of Tibungco District. Moreover, conducting District training on how to implement and enhance the VIM is encouraged to augment the teachers’ knowledge, competence and to gain several techniques in teaching and/or letting the pupils understand a reading selection.