JOCELYN M. GABAYAN
Master Teacher I
Vedasto F. Corcuera Elementary School
This study sought to find out the significant difference of DEW Strategies in student in enriching vocabulary instruction of Grade 5 of Vedasto F. Corcuera Elementary School. The study used Descriptive-comparative design, probability sampling; statistical tools like Mean and Standard Deviation, One-Way ANOVA, Tukey HSD and Eta-squared were used. Results showed that DEW Strategies has significant difference in the performance in enriching vocabulary instruction of students. It further resulted to a moderate effect size of DEW Strategies. This study suggested that DEW Strategies be adopted in teaching.
Vocabulary plays a fundamental role in the reading process, and contributes greatly to a reader’s comprehension. A reader cannot understand a text without knowing what most of the words mean (Readingrockets, 2015). Consequently, a tremendous need for more vocabulary instruction at all grade levels must be intensified by all teachers. For some categories of students, there are obstacles to developing sufficient vocabulary (Sedita, 2005).
In 2007 interview about the reason for “below mastery levels” in the National Achievement Test (NAT), Dr. Yolanda Quijano, head of the DepEd’s Bureau of Elementary Education, attributed “reading problems as the main culprit for the poor performance of some students. (The Philippine Star, 2010).
In local setting, a reading assessment test called PHIL-IRI was conducted by the teachers of Vedasto F. Corcuera Elementary School (2015). A consolidated report showed that the reading skills of students fell under frustrations and instructions level. For this reason, the researcher was encouraged to conduct a study that will enrich the vocabulary instruction of the students.
This study sought to answer the following questions:
1. What is the mean score of the three groups when exposed to DEW Strategies in terms of Discover Spelling Patterns, Explore Sounds and Word Games?
2. What is the level of performance of students in enriching vocabulary instruction?
3. Is there a significant difference in the performance of the study in enriching vocabulary instruction when exposed to DEW Strategies?
4. Is there a significant difference in the three multiple instructions approaches associated with the difference in performance of student in enriching vocabulary instruction?
5. What is the effect size of the DEW Strategies to the performance of student in enriching vocabulary instruction?
6. Thus, there is no significant difference in the three multiple instructions approaches associated with the difference in performance of student in enriching vocabulary instruction.
DEW Strategies refer to three different teaching strategies applied by the researcher in the study. The abbreviated word DEW was operationally defined below:
Discover Spelling Patterns– refers to a strategy where a teacher is going to explore some common spelling patterns together. Reread a familiar big book, story, poem, or so on, selecting a particular spelling pattern to look for. Then ask children to identify and underline the spelling pattern in each word and group them according to their pronunciation.
Explore Sounds – refers to an intervention applied in which teacher helps children discover how different letters represented by sounds. Teacher will reread familiar books and stories asking children to listen for words with a particular sound.
Word Games – is a visual spelling strategy game which involves learning and entertainment. Teacher will give game mechanics where students need to correctly spell a given word e.g. word bank, word pool.
The researcher used Descriptive-Comparative Research Design. Probability sampling using simple random technique was used in this study. It was conducted in 3 sections in Grade 5 of Vedasto F. Corcuera Elementary School, Tibungco District, Davao City. Only secondary data using class records of the learners were operationally used. Moreover, the researcher used Mean and Standard Deviation, One-Way ANOVA, Tukey HSD and Eta-Squared as statistical tool applied in the study.
The study made possible after the school head admitted the researcher to conduct the study. Pre-tests were conducted with the learners. Then strategies were delivered to them in achieving the lesson. Next, posttests were given to check the understanding of the learners of the lesson. Finally, results were encoded, analyzed and interpreted.
Based on the foregoing findings the conclusions reached were:
1. The mean score of the three groups when exposed to DEW Strategies in terms of Discover Spelling Patterns, Explore Sounds and Word Games is Excellent.
2. The level of performance of students in understanding note value reading resulted Excellent.
3. There is a significant difference in the performance of the study in note value reading when exposed to DEW Strategies.
4. There is a significant difference in the three multiple instructions approaches associated with the difference in performance of student in understanding comprehension in note value reading.
5. The effect size of DEW Strategies to the performance of student in note value reading is moderate effect.
The researcher recommends that this study must be adopted by English Teachers of Vedasto F. Corcuera Elementary School.