NIMFA T. ASUQUE
Master Teacher I
F. Bustamante Central Elementary School
The study aimed to determine the effect of Stratiques: Modern Lecture, Self-Reading and Team-based Learning in increasing students’ motivation skill in comparing the lives and works of Filipino heroes in teaching Heograpiya, Kasaysayan at Sibika . The researcher made used of the descriptive comparative research design wherein 90 respondents from grade 5 of Francisco Bustamante Central Elementary School were randomly selected. Secondary data were employed. The statistical tools used were mean, standard deviation, One-Way ANOVA, Tukey HSD and Eta² test. The result showed a large effect in increasing the motivation skill of the students using stratiques, hence, it is recommended to be adopted in grade 5 in Tibungco District .
One of the basic goals in teaching learning is to capitalize on the ability to acquire and to intensify the academic performance of the students. In teaching civics, culture, geography, history, teachers find it difficult to infiltrate to students’ interest considering the diversity and complexity in the classroom, be it the ethnicity, gender, culture, language abilities and interests of these students. According to Brock, et.al (1976) as cited by Kelly (2016) it is necessary for teachers to work from students’ strengths and interests by finding out why students are in your class and what are their expectations. Therefore it is important to take into consideration students’ needs and interests so as to focus instruction that is applicable to different groups of students with different levels. In grade 5, comparing the lives and works of Filipino heroes is one of the competencies that should be mastered among the students but results showed that it is one of the least learned competencies in Heograpiya , Kasaysayan at Sibika. Increasing students’ motivation skill is possibly the most significant factor teachers can aim in order to improve learning. A need to consider the teachers’ teaching strategies and how it work on students’ motivation skill greatly concerns the researcher.
This study is anchored from the Achievement Goal Orientation Recent theory, Dweck and Leggett, et al (1988) as cited by Svinicki (2014) Achievement goal orientation is a general motivation theory, which refers to the fact that the type of goal toward which a person is working has a tremendous impact on how they pursue the goal. Teachers who understand student motivation can greatly enhance the classroom experience and student performance.
In global perspective, teaching how students learn and assisting them understand better in the classroom is one of the primary concerns of every teacher. As mentioned by Ferlazzo (2015) teachers play a vital role in effecting classroom changes. It is said that what happens in the classroom depends on the teacher’s capability to sustain students’ interests. As teachers encounter these every day, it is necessary that they need to understand the need to be motivated in doing their work well. When students are motivated, then learning will easily takes place. One of the strategies of the teacher in increasing students’ motivation skill as mentioned by Nilson (2010), maintain classroom order and civility to earn your students’ respect as well as to create a positive learning environment. According to McDonald (2015), students who understand the lesson tend to be more engaged and show different characteristics such as they are attracted to do work, persist in the work despite challenges and obstacles, and take visible delight in accomplishing their work. In developing students’ understanding to learn important concepts, teacher may use a variety of teaching strategies that would work best for her/his students. According to Kelly (2014), when students engage in meaningful open-ended tasks, their motivation increases and the effect of learning is more powerful. Educators use instructional strategies to encourage motivation among students. Thus, motivating students to learn requires a very challenging role on the part of the teacher. It requires a variety of teaching styles or techniques just to capture students’ interests. To promote and increase students’ motivation, teachers need to be mindful of their instructional methods. Use educational informative strategies that charm to multiple learning styles. Keeping students motivated can be difficult however it is possible by integrating a variety of teaching strategies. Student motivation is closely linked to a student’s academic success.
The Reformed Basic Education Curriculum of 2002 sought to improve the standard of basic education in the country which includes the formation of students who are makabayan, makatao, makakalikasan, at maka-Diyos – patriotic, humane, environmentally sensitive and God-fearing as mentioned by Autor, et. al., (2014). Formation of these values is crucial but can be learned in teaching Heograpiya, Kasaysayan at Sibika in the 5th grade in Elementary. It would respond to the needs of Filipino learners which includes education and knowledge and develop skills and to be better human person in society. According to Joel Tabora, S.J. ( 2010) all of these, if well taught and well integrated, that could be a powerful elementary education. Behind this desire of educators, common problem met in the field is the sustainability on the interest of the students to learn throughout the teaching learning process. Not all students are motivated by the same values, needs, desires and wants. Some students are motivated by the approval of others or by overcoming challenges. So, the teacher must be of adequate knowledge of the objectives and standards of the curriculum, skills in teaching, interests, appreciation and ideals and needs to exert effort to lead students into a life that is large, full, stimulating and satisfying. As mentioned by Erickson (1978) stated by M. Barberos, A. Gozalo, E. Padayogdog (2014) that effective learning in the classroom depends on the teacher’s ability to maintain the interest that brought students to the course in the first place.
In Francisco Bustamante Central Elementary School, Tibungco District, the teachers are equipped with trainings on teaching Heograpiya, Kasaysayan at Sibika (SK/HKS) among grade 5 students, but still some competencies taught were found least learned at the end of the second grading period which affects the achievement of the students, SY 2015 – 2016. Sanchez (2015) mentioned that in grade 5, History (Kasaysayan) is focus with Geography (Heograpiya) and Civics (Sibika) with its competencies to be taught is history-based.Thus, this study targets Grade 5 learners to intensify their knowledge on the competency on comparing the lives and works of Filipino heroes precisely, Dr. Jose Rizal, Marcelo H. Del Pilar and Graciano Lopez Jaena.
The main objective of this study is to find out what strategy is most effective in increasing motivation skill of grade five learners of F. Bustamante Central Elementary School, Tibungco District, Davao City. The study sought to find out the following questions
- What is the mean score of the three groups when exposed to Stratiques in terms of Modern Lecture, Self-Reading and Team-based Learning?
- What is the level of performance of students in increasing motivating skill in learning the lives and works of Filipino heroes when exposed to Stratiques?
- Is there a significant difference in the performance of students in motivating skill in comparing the lives and works of Filipino heroes when exposed to Stratiques?
- Is there significant difference in Stratiques associated with the difference in performance of students in increasing motivating skills in learning the lives and works of Filipino heroes?
- What is the effect size of Stratiques to the performance of students in increasing motivation skill in learning the lives and works of Filipino heroes?
Further, the following terms were operationally defined:Stratiques – refer to a three-way strategies and techniques, namely, Modern Lecture, Self-Reading and Team –based Learning utilized by the researcher in increasing motivation skill in learning the lives and works of Filipino heroes.
Modern Lecture – refers to a combination of traditional way of teaching wherein the teacher does the talking using the cue words written in a strip of cartolina with pictures. Self- Reading – refers to a set of reading materials to be distributed to the students divided into passages. After reading the passage a comprehension check follows.
Team –based Learning (TBL) –refers to a structured form of small-group learning that emphasizes student preparation out of class and application of knowledge in class. Students are organized strategically into diverse teams of 5-7 students that work together throughout the class. Students prepare by reading prior to class.
Motivation – energizes students inside the classroom that leads to improve performance and reach goal through achieve required activities .
- Among the strategies employed, Team-based Learning was the most effective teaching strategy. However, Self-Reading as well as Modern Lecture were also effective to be utilized in the classrooms in increasing students’ motivation skill of the grade five students.
- The level of performance of students in understanding in motivation skill was high.
- There was a significant difference in the performance of students in increasing motivation skill when exposed to Stratiques (Modern Lecture, Self-Reading and Team-based Learning).
- There was a significant difference in the three Strategies associated with the difference in the performance of students in increasing motivation skill in comparing the lives and works of Filipino heroes.
- There was a large effect on the three Strategies (Modern Lecture, Self-Reading and Team-based Learning) to the performance of students in increasing motivation skill in comparing the lives and works of Filipino heroes.
- With reference to the result of the current study, it is strongly recommended that Team-based Learning be employed in the classroom in increasing the motivation skill of students in comparing the life and works of Filipino heroes.
- Teachers may also implore the other two strategies, Self-Reading and Modern Lecture strategy along the teaching learning process.
- Another study may be conducted to determine what strategy is most applicable in other classes of other grade level.
The full content of this research is published in the Tibungco District Research Journal.